Day 2 is here and the color is BROWN!
I was worried about handing BROWN to a friend as the color of their hop, but then I remembered that the fabulously talented Carrie Bloomston of SUCH Designs is helping out, and I knew all would be well.
In addition to designing patterns and fabrics, and authoring her new book, The Little Spark – 30 Ways to Ignite Your Creativity, Carrie is also an abstract painter – so who better than a painter to tell us how to appreciate BROWN? I remember the magic of combining all sorts of colors to make myriad brown tones in my first painting class – it really was a wonder. Learning how to manipulate color is one of the keys to the kingdom of art!
When I was working on the patterns for Quilt Talk, I began to play with some words for those of us who follow paths that are not always so popular. What emerged was “She just ignored the people who said it couldn’t be done.” As I’ve changed my life from full time IT management geek to full time creative geek, I’ve had a lot of encouragement, but a lot of pushback too. I had to ignore the people who said that I couldn’t or shouldn’t make a radical life change, realizing that often when people tell you that YOU can’t, what they are really saying is that THEY can’t.
As the words crystallized, I knew I had to fnd some special fabrics for them. I reached out to Carrie to use her very first fabric line, Collage, and she and Windham Fabrics squeaked out the needed yardage from the precious pre-release stash. (And this quilt will work with other border prints, too.)
Why this fabric? Well, when I first met Carrie we started gabbing, and soon found out that we both had graduated from art programs that, while they taught us a lot about art, pickled our brains a bit. Carrie put it best when she said it took a while to get back to being the artist she was before school. I’ve felt the same way… after so much critique (helpful and otherwise) my head was in a swirl. Making this quilt for us both was a way to celebrate our return to what we know is right for our own artistic careers. And I know she would join me in telling you to follow your own path, and just ignore the people who would tell you it can’t be done!
Please head over to Carrie’s blog to comment for a chance to win a Quilt Talk book, and to download the BROWN bucket pattern.
Check out Carrie’s new book too – it releases this month! I can’t wait to play with it!
Here’s a reminder of the tour and COLOR bucket schedule:
- Thursday October 2 – PURPLE – Megan Dougherty, The Bitchy Stitcher
- Friday October 3 – BROWN – Carrie Bloomston, Such Designs
- Monday October 6 – RED – Kim Niedzwiecki, My GoGo Life
- Tuesday October 7 – TEAL – Flaun Cline, I Plead Quilty
- Wednesday October 8 – WHITE – Mollie Sparkles
- Thursdays October 9 – HEXIES – Cath Hall, Wombat Quilts
- Friday October 10 – PINK – Ebony Love, LoveBug Studios
- Monday October 13 – GREEN – Rose Hughes
- Tuesday October 14 – BLUE – Sarah Fielke
- Wednesday October 15 – GRAY – Maddie Kertay, The BadAss Quilter’s Society
- Thursday October 16 – BLACK – Cheryl Sleboda
- Friday October 17 – YELLOW – Victoria Findlay Wolfe
- Monday October 20 – ORANGE (but of course!) – Sam Hunter, Hunter’s Design Studio
BTW – Did you join my mailing list yet? Do it here. I’m dreaming up groovy exclusive stuff for you!